NSC looking for communications & events volunteer
NSC News | Monday, 4 September 2017 |
Three month commitment starting week beginning 1 October, 2017
One day a week (or the equivalent hours)
Based in Finbury Pk, London but some work could be done from home
* Are you interested in Nicaragua and issues affecting Latin American as a whole?
* Do you have strong organisational and communication skills?
* Are you looking for experience working in a small NGO or campaigning organisation?
* Are you based in Greater London area and willing to commit to one day per week?
If you answered yes to all these questions, then this might be the role for you!
We are a UK based organisation that supports social and economic justice organisations in Nicaragua and builds mutual solidarity with UK counterparts.
We carry out our work through:
• publishing information about the situation in Nicaragua, the work of our partner organisations, and UK – Nicaragua solidarity linking
• co-ordinating speaker tours to the UK of representatives of our partner organisations
• organising public events
• collaborating with and providing support for Wales NSC and 11 towns and communities with twinning links with places in Nicaragua
Key areas of work September – December 2017
- Review of NSC’s website
- Regular news updates for website and social media
- Publication of our magazine Nicaragua Now
- Setting up a working group to plan NSC’s 40th anniversary celebrations in 2018
- NSC involvement in Latin America conference 2 December
- Annual meeting of representatives of towns/communities in the UK that have twinning links in Nicaragua
Role of communications and events volunteer
- To write regular news pieces to be posted on NSC website and social media
- To assist in the production and promotion of the autumn issue of Nicaragua Now
- To assist with the administration and logistics of a coordination meeting of representatives of towns and communities in the UK with twinning links in Nicaragua
- To participate in a working group to be set up to plan NSC’s 40th anniversary in 2018
- Administrative tasks relating to NSC’s campaigning and fundraising
- § Commitment to the aims of NSC
- § Sound English reading, writing and speaking skills
- § Ability to use own initiative
- § Sound organisational, administrative skills
- § Knowledge of using the social media as a promotional tool
- § Excellent IT skills
- § Able to commit to three months’ volunteering, one day per week.
- § Some knowledge of Nicaragua/Latin America
A reading knowledge of Spanish would be an advantage
The placement will be for three months from the week beginning 1 October. Ideally the volunteer will be able to commit to one day per week.
What we can offer
- § Comprehensive induction into the work of NSC
- § Support and supervision from NSC staff members
- § A friendly work environment
- § The opportunity to learn and develop your communication skills.
- § The opportunity to get some experience of organising events
- § Lunch allowance of £3.50 and travel expenses within the Greater London Area
How to apply:
Please send the following to Helen on email@example.com
Þ A brief cover letter explaining why you would like to volunteer for NSC, how you meet the person specification, and what you hope to get out of volunteering with NSC
Deadline for applications: Thursday 21 September, 2017